Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Green Wall

This area of Africa is very rich in copper and other minerals; it is one of the top 5 richest copper ore areas in the world and my company is mining just a small portion of it. Here are some pictures to help you see how much copper I am talking about.

As I drive out of base camp each day, heading to the mine, this is what I see. It is called the green wall and all of the green is copper waiting be be extracted. This "wall" is about 20 miles from the area that is being mined right now.
A closer look at the wall.
A closer look at one of the rocks from the wall.

Me at the green wall. Without getting into the mineralogy - look at all that copper. It is crazy! There is a lot of copper mining in Arizona, but you never see anything like this.

1 comment:

  1. I can see why your company wants to mine there. Its hard for me to see the green in the first two pictures, but those rocks sure are bright. I feel stupid, but I didn't know that mined copper is green.

    That rock you're squating under looks like its going to crush you.

    ReplyDelete