



It's amazing to me how many things they can pack on a bike. One time I saw this guy hauling two 10 foot long rectangular metal bars (they reminded me of rain gutters). He had them standing up on either side of his bike - it was incredible. I just think about what I would do if I had to haul something, like a mattress for example. I would never in a million years think of my bike as an option, in fact my car wouldn't even be an option. Maybe when I go back to Arizona and it cools off a little I will try hauling a large load on my bike. Ha, ha, I'm sure it would turn into a complete disaster. Anyway, I really admire the Congolese people for using the bike so well.In contrast, the transportation for me and my fellow FMI employees is a lot less physical. Most people drive a white, 4-door, manual, diesel, Toyota Hilux truck. If you have never hear of this truck it is because it would not pass emissions laws in the USA. There are some other vehicles as well - some Toyota SUV's and Land Rover's, but mainly white trucks. When I first arrived a wondered how in the world anyone knew which truck was theirs when they all look the same. I soon learned that a) they don't really look the same b) you just know which truck is yours c) each truck has a number painted on both sides and the back. I was lucky enough to have a truck secured for me when I got here, #595, which is great because then I don't have to go to work at 6:30. Although the seats are completely covered in dirt, grease and I'm sure other things, it gets me from point A to B so I have no complaints. (In case you're wondering about the flag on each truck in the picture, that is called a buggy whip and it a requirement for any vehicle driving in the mine).
That bike thing is awesome! It makes me want to try hauling different things. I have hauled a crate but I don't think anything bigger than that on my bike. (well besides kids.)
ReplyDeleteAbout the trucks, why did they choose that one? I think it funny that they're all the same, but it must've been cheaper that way.