Friday, June 5, 2009

Wildlife in the DRC

Yep, that's about as wild as it gets here in the DRC. There are a lot of goats and chickens, some pigs, dogs, birds and a monkey. The pig I had to stop for right before I entered the mine gate, the monkey lives in base camp and likes to terrorize the dogs, and the goat was in the road on the way to Lubumbashi. The Congolese people mainly own goats and chickens; most are afraid of dogs so there are few wandering around. Mainly the dogs I have seen belong to the ex-patriots here in base camp. In my orientation I learned that there used to be rhinos, some kind of zebra, gorillas, and several other wild animals in the DRC however after years of civil wars and pouching all the animals were driven away and/or killed. This basically means that, unfortunetly, while in Africa I will most likely not see any of the big game. I do hope to see a snake though (from my truck). The Black Mamba and Green Mamba are both native to this area and very poisonous, hence why I would like to see one from the comfort of my truck.

1 comment:

  1. That's a close up and personal zoo you're living in. Blaine is a little disappointed that you won't be seeing any large wildlife.

    ReplyDelete