Friday, June 12, 2009

Hills and Gardens

The Congolese people who live in this area do a lot of gardening. The landscape is kind of hilly but that is not a deterrent, the gardens are just planted on hills. I have never seen gardens on hills before, probably because I have always lived in desert type climates. The rainy season from October to May is what makes these gardens possible; I'm pretty sure a garden on a hill would never work if you had to irrigate. Since I got here in the dry season many of the plants were already dead, but I can tell that they grow corn, beans, peanuts, some melons or squash and leafy greens, bananas, mangos and papayas. We also have a lot of cucumbers. onion and tomatoes during our meals so I think they must grow around here as well. These are not the best pictures, but they do show the essence of hill gardens.

1 comment:

  1. I feel like I'm learning so much about Africa. I'm assuming that the hills are not a deterent since Africans probably do all the planting and harvesting by hand instead of using machines.

    ReplyDelete